Top 5 Tips for Exploring Munich with a Toddler
There are so many activities to enjoy in Munich, Germany, experience the vivacious culture on every corner, making it the perfect destination for everyone. New parents will enjoy Munich’s range of activities. Here are our top tips for experiencing this great city with a toddler in tow.
Start the day with a Bavarian breakfast consisting of white boiled sausage, pretzels, and sweet mustard. This native style breakfast is super tasty and it will give you a lot of energy to explore the city with your little one!
While you’re on-the-go I recommend buying pretzels – or Brezens as they are called in German. They are the perfect go-to snack in Munich. Whether salted or unsalted they are delicious and last a long time for little mouths.
Make a plan, write down the top places you want to visit but be flexible! Remember you want to explore the city but also enjoy quality time with the family. Now for the fun part, I’ve highlighted my top five destinations for getting the most out of Munich.
1. Marienplatz, this central square in the city center is filled with culture and buzzing energy. The square features an impressive New Town Hall, a magnificent neo-gothic building with a beautiful Glockenspiel clock. Try to get there at 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, or 5:00 pm to see the Coopers Dancers – it’s a must! If you are not afraid of heights, go to the top of city hall (85 meters high) where you can enjoy grandiose views of the city. Also just around the corner, you will find the two towers of Frauenkirche, a unique and incredible cathedral described as the symbol of Munich.
2. Viktualienmarkt is one of the best farmer’s markets in the city. This market has a splendid variety of food and crafts, perfect for souvenirs. We are big fans of food markets. Be sure to stop for a bite at Wurststandl Teltschik, the stall with the best sausages in town; we went for a traditional Bavarian platter and a beer – of course!
3. Englischer Garten, this vast and beautiful garden is the perfect place to let your little one roam to burn some energy in one of their playgrounds. Visit the Monopteros, a circular classic Greek-style temple with stunning views of the city. The garden also features the world’s only inner-city surfing location where you can watch experienced surfers show off their skills.
4. Deutsches Museum is a great choice if you only have time to visit one museum. This is one of the world’s largest Museums of Science & Technology. There are a lot of larger than life exhibits for children and adults to explore here such as a giant guitar, optic table, and legos.
5. Your trip to Munich would not be complete without visiting the BMW Welt and Olympiaturm, Allow at least half a day to explore these two attractions and make sure you go to the top of the Olympic tower, also known as “the view of Munich.”
Munich has a city vibe that I am sure you are going to love. Walk around the vibrant streets while discovering this quintessential Bavarian city. Everything from its traditional beer gardens, rich architecture and culture, and superb green spaces, Munich surely has something for everyone. If you are a foodie, you should definitely try one of their many delicious regional dishes, my favorite has to be their sous vide gegarter Kalbstafelspitz (veal), which is so tender it just melts in your mouth!. We had dinner at the Hilton Munich Airport hotel, but there are plenty of restaurants in the city.
Without a doubt, Munich deserves a top spot on your travel bucket list. It is a magnificent city to visit all year round.
I hope these tips inspire you to pack your bags, bring your toddler and start planning your next vacation in the beautiful capital of Bavaria.