Travel Tips When Visiting Machu Pichu, Peru
If you are a travel fan, chances are Machu Picchu is on your travel bucket list. It’s mystical, mysterious, and many miles away – but what may surprise you is that it is a much easier trip to take than you may assume.
Let’s breakdown the key components of a trip to Machu Picchu:
- Flights: Many major airlines fly to Lima, Peru’s capital, and fares from the US tend to be cheaper than many other international destinations. You’ll also need another flight from Lima to Cusco (no major airlines go direct from US to Cusco).
- Transportation: From Cusco to Aguas Calientes– the city at the entrance to the ruins – train is the only option. Peru Rail offers several daily roundtrip trains and can easily be booked online. From the train station to the ruins you can either hike or take a quick bus ride (recommended) for a nominal fee.
- Hotels: Most flights land at night in Lima and Cusco flights generally only operate during the day – requiring a hotel in Lima. Also, plan on a few nights in Cusco.
- Machu Picchu ticket: The Peruvian government, in efforts to protect the ruins, has put a limit on daily tickets to the site. Tickets can be secured online in advance but have been to known to sell out as date nears.
You are now ready to book – what are some tips to make the trip even better?
- Stay in Cusco for a few days – there is a variety of options from bed and breakfasts to upscale hotels – the city is full of culture (it was the Inca Capital) and has many great ruins to visit.
- Most view Lima as only a quick stop, however one of the highlights of trip was visiting SkyKitchen. A great concept that teaches small group how to cook traditional Peruvian dishes.
- No need to be an expert hiker! Hiking is as little as or as much as you want – you can hike the 4-day Inca Trail to the ruins, or enjoy a bus ride right to entrance of ruins.
- As for safety – I never once felt uncomfortable in Peru.
- Hire a guide at ruins, or even for the day is extremely affordable (i.e. around $10 at Machu Picchu) and highly recommended – they can provide great local insight.
Discover Hilton Hotels in Machu Pichu
Find Hilton hotels in Machu Pichu to experience it for yourself.Search Hotels