Party Like a Rock Star at Madison Square Garden
When I needed to travel to New York City for a conference a few months ago, we decided to make it a family affair. Our kids love New York City and there’s always something new to see and explore.
When we went previously, we went to a Broadway play, but this time our oldest discovered U2 would be in concert while we were there. In his mind, the decision was easy. Rock concert at Madison Square Garden? Yes and please. Broadway play? Only if you can’t get tickets to U2.
This was our first time seeing a Madison Square Garden concert, and the entire experience could not have gone smoother. Here are a few tips if you want to experience this iconic venue.
1. Get your tickets early. Or you can be like us and buy resell, but only do this from reputable outlets. A few of my suggestions are: Stubhub, TicketsNow, and TicketExchange.
2. When buying resell tickets, check out multiple websites to get the best prices and seats. If you have time, you may want to wait and see if prices go down. Ticket prices have a tendency to start at one price, then go up about 6-8 weeks before show time, and often drop considerably the closer the event gets.
3. You may need to split your party. It’s often easier to buy two seats as opposed to four or more. You’ll be able to see the seating chart, so you can ensure the seats are somewhat close together.
4. Allow plenty of time to travel. It’s New York City, so if you’re like us, you’ll probably walk. Build in extra time to allow for unforeseen circumstances. If you’re traveling by taxi, build in even more time.
5. Don’t be in a rush when the concert is over. There are a lot of people trying to get out at one time and while the logistics were some of the best I’ve ever experienced, it still takes time.
6. Don’t be That Guy. It’s a concert. Expect that it will be loud and the people in front of you will stand up. No complaining – just have fun and enjoy the show!
You may also enjoy:
- 24 Hours in New York City’s Legendary Times Square!
- Kid’s Favorite Shopping Spots in New York City
- Find Hilton hotels near Madison Square Garden
Hilton Mom Voyage writers receive free night certificates to use at Hilton Hotels & Resorts worldwide. To learn more, visit our About Us page.
Know Before You Go
- Opt for walking tours instead of bus tours if you want to eliminate the issue of traffic – just make sure to pack comfortable shoes!
- If you bring your own ice skates, Bryant Park allows you to ice skate for free in the winter.
- The Bronx Zoo is pay-what-you-wish on Wednesdays.
- Utilize the New York Subway to travel like a local – it’s also a great way to avoid traffic!